ALMOND CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup almonds - sliced
- 3 eggs (whites & yolks separated)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk - unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- a few drops Stevia - liquid toffee or vanilla flavor
BIRTHDAY CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 13.5 oz cans coconut milk - unsweetened full fat (refrigerate overnight - you will use about 1 cup of the cream top for the recipe)
- 1 almond cake (see recipe above)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla beans
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- a few drops Stevia - vanilla flavor
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- a few drops Stevia - berry flavor
Almond Cake Instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 350F (Bake).
- Line the bottom of a 9” round cake pan with parchment. (I generally trace the bottom of the cake pan onto the parchment and cut it to fit. This is a huge help for releasing the cake after it cools.)
- Place the ½ cup of sliced almonds in a small bowl.
- Separate your eggs by placing the whites into the bowl of a stand mixer and the yolks into a medium to large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites on high until they reach a stiff peak consistency. (If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can use a hand mixer or whisk of course!)
- In the bowl with the egg yolks, add the coconut milk, honey, vanilla
The Brain Doc’s Birthday Cake Instructions:
- Refrigerate the cans of coconut milk overnight to help separate the coconut water from the cream and solidify the cream.
- Bake the almond cake 35-40 minutes then completely cool. Cut in half to create two layers.
- Whisk 1 cup of the cold coconut milk with the vanilla extract, salt, and vanilla Stevia to taste (start with just a few drops). The cream should whip up quickly into a thick whipped cream consistency. Store in refrigerator until ready for use.
- In a small to medium bowl, stir together the strawberries, blueberries, water and berry Stevia to taste (start with just a few drops).
- On top of the bottom cake layer, drizzle the juices from the berries evenly to moisten the cake. Top with berries and whipped cream. Add the top layer and enjoy!
- VARIATIONS: You can use any flavor of liquid Stevia that you’d like to flavor the coconut whipped cream (chocolate, berry, toffee, orange).