- 5 cups vegetable broth (or filtered water)
- 2 1/2 cups dried lentils (red or green)
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup quinoa (optional) cooked
- You can easily create this recipe on a Stovetop or in an Instapot.
For the Stovetop
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add add ingredients to the boiling water (save quinoa if using this option).
- Leave the heat up until the mixture begins to boil again and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve in a mug garnished with fresh Italian parsley. If opting to boost the protein by adding quinoa scoop 1/4 cup on top of each serving and enjoy!
- Refrigerate left-overs for use for up to 7 days. Freeze if you need to save for a later date!
For the Instapot
- Place all ingredients into the pot.
- Set for chili and allow to seal and start cooking under pressure.
- When the timer beeps, let count up for 10 minutes.
- Manually vent and remove the soup from the Instapot.
- Serve warm garnished with fresh Italian parsley or topped with the optional quinoa.
- Follow the same storage instructions as the Stovetop version.
- This soup makes an excellent filling chilled and mixed with chopped dark leafy greens like kale and spinach inside of a wrap!
- Lentils are an easy plant based protein add-in for a week of powerful foods.
- This recipe can be enjoyed as a side dish, an afternoon snack or a full meal. It can also be made in a double-batch and enjoyed for up to 7 days after preparing.
- Lentils provide 18 grams of protein per serving and are rich in minerals.
- One 8oz mug of this soup will provide 16 grams of protein plus a daily dose of magnesium, iron and folate.