Your brain is 80% water, so it’s really important to be well-hydrated every day. Unfortunately too many people don’t pay attention to how much water they drink—which is a big mistake.
Being even a little dehydrated can have significant consequences on your strength and cognitive function. A study found that pilots who were dehydrated by only 2% actually had diminished cognitive skills, including their spatial reasoning. How would you like to be on that airplane? No thank you!
On the other hand, being well-hydrated helps you in many ways, including your workout sessions. According to current research, it can give you a 19% increase in power when working out, make it easier to gain muscle, improve your aerobic capacity, cardiac output and enhance almost every part of your physical functioning. Which means of course, when you’re dehydrated, your ability to lift weights and put on muscle is reduced.
Since hydration is so important to your health routine, I’ve created this video to share the simple strategies I use to make hydration a daily habit. By following these tips you can increase your brain and body power every day.
5 Tips for Staying Hydrated
- As soon as I wake up in the morning, I drink a huge cup of warm water with half to one teaspoon of fresh grated ginger and the juice of about one lemon squeezed into it.
- Add 20 ounces of water to your morning smoothie. By the time you hit the gym or the board room you should have already consumed between 32 and 40 ounces of water, and you’re off to a running start.
- Keep a water bottle in front of you during the day to remind yourself to continue to drink.
- If you’re like my husband and find plain water boring, add a packet of BrainMD Health’s delicious and nutritious Brain Boost On-the-Go, a.k.a. the “Think Drink” with organic berry extracts, B-vitamins and theanine.
- Have some sparkling water with a few drops of Stevia – but not too often if you’re a woman because the carbonation can be detrimental to your bone health.
If you are interested in something like the Brain Boost On-the-Go, you can find it here. Remember to use coupon code TANA21 for 21% off!.
One of the most important things you can do for the health of your brain and body is to stay hydrated.
I would love to hear what you do to increase your water intake. Please stay in contact with me. I’d love to get your feedback and I love to answer questions, so keep them coming. Thank you!