As Brain Warriors, it is absolutely essential that we take care of ourselves with rest and relaxation in addition to pushing ourselves to be better. And what better way to relax on a chilly winter day than a steaming bowl of soup?
Soups are a favorite in the Amen household. Several scientific studies have shown that this delicious comfort food really can have medicinal benefits. Research shows that chicken soup is packed with healthy compounds that reduce inflammation, a problem believed to contribute to cold symptoms. One particular compound found in many soups — L-carnosine— may also help the immune system fight off the early stages of flu. This one is a perfectly satisfying meal for a snowy day—or any day for that matter!
Healing Chicken Soup : Serves 6
8 ounces chicken breast
2 tablespoons coconut oil or macadamia nut oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, sliced
½ sweet onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 cup water
5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or bone broth
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried marjoram or 1 tablespoon fresh
½ teaspoon dried sage or 1 tablespoon fresh
1½ cups shredded green cabbage
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Dice chicken.
- In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, celery, onion,
and carrot and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Stir in water, vegetable or bone broth, onion powder, marjoram, and sage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with parsley. Serve hot.
Nutrition Per Serving: