Most people know that working out regularly is one of the best ways to burn fat. But… with your job, chores, errands, family, and everything else in between, it can be difficult to fit in the amount of exercise that you ideally want. I know it’s stressful trying to squeeze more minutes out of each day, but that’s not healthy either because the more stressed we are the more cortisol is released into our bodies which then makes unwanted fat even more stubborn.
While a healthy balance of aerobic activity and strength training is one of the best combos for burning calories and getting rid of unwanted fat, sometimes you just can’t get to the gym. But that doesn’t mean your fat management goals are doomed!
10 Easy Ways to Boost Metabolism and Burn Fat—Without Suffering
When you can’t work out as often as you’d like, giving your metabolism mini boosts throughout the day can add up and increase your chances of burning some fat.
There are many ways to do this that are almost painless, including these 10:
- When shopping during daylight hours, instead of taking the closest available spot, park farther away from the store entrance so you can get in some extra steps.
- If you’re out and about on foot, get your heart rate up by walking like you’re late. Swing your arms too because the more body parts you move together, the more energy you’ll burn.
- If you work in an office building and normally take the elevator, start taking the stairs instead, as long as it’s safe to do so. If you work on a high floor, begin by doing a couple of flights, then take the elevator the rest of the way to your office floor. As your legs get stronger, slowly increase the number of flights you do.
- For those who normally spend a lot of time sitting, especially all of you “desk jockeys” where being seated is required for your job, get up and walk around the office every hour. Set a timer on repeat so you don’t forget.
- Bring your own lunch food instead of going out to eat and use the extra time to take a brisk walk before getting back to work.
- When you’re watching TV at home, don’t spend the whole time planted on the couch. Start making it a habit to be active during commercials by doing quick sets of jumping jacks, push-ups, and planks.
- Rather than being stationary while chatting on the phone, move around. Walk, march in place, do bicep curls, or some squats—you get the picture.
- Eat breakfast. Healthy nutrition in the morning can help get your metabolism revved up and provide you with the energy needed to get your day going. It’s essential to eat breakfast that contains protein and other vital nutrients—NOT sugar-laden, high-glycemic foods that will make you tired in an hour or two.
- Put on some great music and dance. Whether you’re by yourself in the kitchen waiting for dinner to cook in the oven or hanging out with your family (or friends!), having a little dance party is one of the easiest and most fun ways to get in some extra activity. Plus, it boosts your mood in addition to your metabolism!
- Keep your stress in check. As I mentioned in the beginning, when we’re too stressed out, our bodies are biologically primed to hold onto fat—it’s an innate survival mechanism in the brain that goes back to our cave-dwelling days. So, it’s super-important to manage the stress in your life, and I think meditation is one of the best ways to do this. If you’ve never tried it before, it’s really worth it and I think you’ll appreciate how it makes you feel. I invite you to join me for this free meditation to improve your day.
Keeping your metabolism going to help burn fat is something you can easily do by incorporating simple strategies like these. You’ll be pleasantly surprised to discover how much better you feel when you move around more.
And, when your body feels good it lifts your spirits, improves your focus, and keeps you energized to face the challenges of each day!
To help conquer your cravings naturally, try BrainMD’s Craving Control. Want 21% off? Enter TANA21 at checkout. It’s that easy!
If you’re struggling and need professional help, Amen Clinics is here for you. We offer in-clinic brain scanning and appointments, as well as mental telehealth, remote clinical evaluations, and video therapy for adults, children, and couples. Find out more by speaking to a specialist today at 888-288-9834 or visit our contact page here.