- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added vegetable broth or 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil for sautéing
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 large tomato or one 14oz jar of low-sodium diced tomatoes diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala spice
- 1/2 teaspoon mild yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon presoaked saffron threads or 1/4 teaspoon dried saffron powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 8 chicken breast boneless, free-range, antiobiotic-free, hormone-free
- 1/2 cup raw shaved almonds
Preparation For Marinade:
- Heat vegetable broth in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions and tomato for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic for 1 minute. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add some more vegetable broth if necessary, so mixture doesn’t become dry. Add masala seasoning, curry, saffron, and sea salt (if desired). Simmer for 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and cool for several minutes.
- Pour mixture into a blender bowl and puree on medium until smooth and creamy.
- Return mixture to saucepan and add coconut milk. Bring to a mild boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While marinade is cooling, lightly pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet.
- When marinade cools, place in a bowl and add chicken to sauce. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
Preparation For Cooking:
- After marinating chicken, preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place chicken in baking dish with marinade. Be sure dish is large enough so chicken isn’t crowded together. Cook for 15 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Place chicken on serving platter and sprinkle with almonds.