FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 lbs chicken breast (organic, boneless, skinless)
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced, fresh)
- 2 tablespoons ginger (minced fresh)
- 3 limes cut in half
FOR THE SALAD MIX:
- 2 cups naval oranges (about 3 peeled and medium dice)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (about 4 cups shredded)
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 2 cups shredded)
- 1 bunch watercress leaves (about 2 cups chopped just once or twice)
- 2 cups basil leaves (roughly chopped or ripped)
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves (about 2 cups roughly chopped)
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 cups cucumber (julienned or small dice)
- 1 cup red bell pepper (julienned or small dice)
- 1 bunch green onions (about 2 cups finely chopped)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
FOR THE DRESSING: (2 tablespoons per serving)
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce, low sodium (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 sardine (or 2 anchovy filets or 1 tablespoon fish sauce, no sugar)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh
- 1 tablespoon garlic, fresh
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 green onions (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 naval orange - juice & zest
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375F (convection roast is ideal).
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. On the sheet, toss the chicken breasts with the macadamia nut oil, garlic, and ginger. Lay out and add the cut limes to roast. Cook about 15-20 minutes depending on your oven. The chicken should be tender and juicy and not necessarily browned.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to cool about 20 minutes. Once cooled, shred with fingers or a fork and then squeeze the juice of the roasted limes and toss with the chicken. Set aside for service or refrigerate for later.
- Clean the peel off the navel oranges, cut a small section of the center out to remove seeds. Chop the oranges medium dice size. Set aside.
- Sesame seeds can either be toasted stove top in a small sauté pan, or on a sheet pan in the oven. Either way, they toast fast and may need to be stirred a bit. Watch them and toast until they are just a light golden brown. (Note: buy toasted sesame seeds only if they have been dry roasted. They tend to be fresher and tastier if you do it yourself).
- In a large bowl, chop and shred all the salad greens, herbs, and vegetables.
- To serve, platter the greens, top with orange pieces, then shredded chicken, and finally toasted sesame seeds on top. Dressing on the side.
For The Dressing:
- In a blender, combine the tamari sauce, sardine, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, ginger, garlic, lime juice and green onion. Blend until smooth.
- Add cilantro, zest & juice of orange and pulse until cilantro is small bits of green throughout.
- Finish by adding black sesame seeds and pulse just once or twice.